By Kathryn O’Kane
When it comes to financial planning, are you overwhelmed with all the information and advice out there? Not sure where to start? In November, Certified Financial Planners Gail Linn and William Fischer at Fortis Lux Financial (an office of MassMutual) presented a free seminar – available exclusively to NYWIFT members – covering the key concepts you need to consider to achieve your financial goals.
Here are Gail and William’s five introductory tips to secure your economic future.
- Prepare for the unexpected. Put 6 months of living expenses in a savings account.
- Be aware there are many ways to fund your retirement: 401K, 403b, traditional IRA, SEP IRA, and Roth IRA.
- Understand that no amount is too small. Contributing as little as $25 to your retirement fund from each pay check adds up over time.
- Diversify. From stocks and bonds to size and growth, each allocation is going to react differently to what is going on in the market, meaning you can better weather market fluctuations.
- Consider tax diversification of your retirement investments. Traditional retirement accounts, combined with Roth IRAs and cash value life insurance can add necessary flexibility to your portfolio.
A free financial planning consultation with Gail and William is offered as a member benefit to all NYWIFT members, whether you have just started out in your career or have been working for years and are approaching retirement.
Gail Linn, CFP® & William Fischer, CFP®
Fortis Lux Financial, an office of Mass Mutual
277 Park Avenue, 41st & 44th Floor
New York, NY 10172
Not a NYWIFT member yet? Join online.
Disclaimer: This information is provided for discussion purposes only, and should not be misconstrued as investment advice.
Kathryn O’Kane is a director and producer of television and commercials, as well as a NYWIFT board member. www.busyk.com
Sarah Finn: Casting Director Sarah Finn may the true superhero of the Marvel Cinematic Universe – she cast more than a thousand actors in almost...READ MORE
In advance of the Fall 2019 premiere of her new BRIC TV series "All Hail Beth," showrunner and NYWIFT member Misha Calvert sits down with Leah Curney to discuss power dynamics, how to pitch your project, and how she makes connections in the business.READ MORE
Working Moms: Celebrating Mother’s Day this weekend was a powerful reminder that being a working mother is especially tough in the film and television industry. Thankfully,...READ MORE
Travel Notes of a Geechee Girl, a documentary about the life and works of Vertamae Smart Grosvenor, which is currently in development with NYWIFT Muse Honoree Julie Dash as director, has been awarded a grant by the National Endowment for the Humanities (NEH). The film is produced by NYWIFT Board member, Rachel Watanabe-Batton and Dash, with Patricia Williams Lessane, PhD. and Juanita Anderson as co-producers.READ MORE