By Kathryn O’Kane
When it comes to financial planning, are you overwhelmed with all the information and advice out there? Not sure where to start? In November, Certified Financial Planners Gail Linn and William Fischer at Fortis Lux Financial (an office of MassMutual) presented a free seminar – available exclusively to NYWIFT members – covering the key concepts you need to consider to achieve your financial goals.
Here are Gail and William’s five introductory tips to secure your economic future.
- Prepare for the unexpected. Put 6 months of living expenses in a savings account.
- Be aware there are many ways to fund your retirement: 401K, 403b, traditional IRA, SEP IRA, and Roth IRA.
- Understand that no amount is too small. Contributing as little as $25 to your retirement fund from each pay check adds up over time.
- Diversify. From stocks and bonds to size and growth, each allocation is going to react differently to what is going on in the market, meaning you can better weather market fluctuations.
- Consider tax diversification of your retirement investments. Traditional retirement accounts, combined with Roth IRAs and cash value life insurance can add necessary flexibility to your portfolio.
A free financial planning consultation with Gail and William is offered as a member benefit to all NYWIFT members, whether you have just started out in your career or have been working for years and are approaching retirement.
Gail Linn, CFP® & William Fischer, CFP®
Fortis Lux Financial, an office of Mass Mutual
277 Park Avenue, 41st & 44th Floor
New York, NY 10172
Not a NYWIFT member yet? Join online.
Disclaimer: This information is provided for discussion purposes only, and should not be misconstrued as investment advice.
Kathryn O’Kane is a director and producer of television and commercials, as well as a NYWIFT board member. www.busyk.com
Diane Paragas: In NYWIFT’s latest collaboration with Honeysuckle Magazine, we interviewed filmmaker Diane Paragas about her film Yellow Rose and how it contributes to our...READ MORE
In a media landscape dominated by outraged, emotional debates over our nation’s immigration crisis, DACA, ICE, detainment, and children’s immense suffering, writer/director Diane Paragas’ long-in-the-making film "Yellow Rose" has burst on to the scene. And it could not be more timely. Paragas discusses the film's long journey to the screen and what she hopes to contribute to our cultural conversation on immigration.READ MORE
This Spring, NYWIFT Community Engagement Director Katie Chambers sat down with host Jason Godbey on his indie film podcast No Rest for the Weekend to discuss the rise of women in media, the continued challenges they face, NYWIFT's mission and how the organization creates a supportive network for women to get ahead in their careers.READ MORE
Women’s Soccer: The U.S. Women’s Soccer Team did more than just win the World Cup this weekend – they started a worldwide conversation about equal...READ MORE