By Kathryn O’Kane
When it comes to financial planning, are you overwhelmed with all the information and advice out there? Not sure where to start? In November, Certified Financial Planners Gail Linn and William Fischer at Fortis Lux Financial (an office of MassMutual) presented a free seminar – available exclusively to NYWIFT members – covering the key concepts you need to consider to achieve your financial goals.
Here are Gail and William’s five introductory tips to secure your economic future.
- Prepare for the unexpected. Put 6 months of living expenses in a savings account.
- Be aware there are many ways to fund your retirement: 401K, 403b, traditional IRA, SEP IRA, and Roth IRA.
- Understand that no amount is too small. Contributing as little as $25 to your retirement fund from each pay check adds up over time.
- Diversify. From stocks and bonds to size and growth, each allocation is going to react differently to what is going on in the market, meaning you can better weather market fluctuations.
- Consider tax diversification of your retirement investments. Traditional retirement accounts, combined with Roth IRAs and cash value life insurance can add necessary flexibility to your portfolio.
A free financial planning consultation with Gail and William is offered as a member benefit to all NYWIFT members, whether you have just started out in your career or have been working for years and are approaching retirement.
Gail Linn, CFP® & William Fischer, CFP®
Fortis Lux Financial, an office of Mass Mutual
277 Park Avenue, 41st & 44th Floor
New York, NY 10172
Not a NYWIFT member yet? Join online.
Disclaimer: This information is provided for discussion purposes only, and should not be misconstrued as investment advice.
Kathryn O’Kane is a director and producer of television and commercials, as well as a NYWIFT board member. www.busyk.com
Latinx Representation: Good news – the Geena Davis Institute on Gender in Media has partnered with Universal Filmed Entertainment Group to pilot its “Spellcheck for...READ MORE
Multi-hyphenate artist Leah Curney - an actor, writer, and director - shares what keeps her organized and inspired, from notebooks to podcasts and more. Plus, she expounds on the one piece of advice that frustrated her...until the truth of it finally clicked.READ MORE
NYWIFT member Jodie Alexandra Taylor's documentary Pennhurst, which screens at the Member Screening Series on February 25th, was inspired by her visit to what remains of one of the largest and oldest institutions for the intellectually and developmentally disabled. One chapter of the story ended when the institution closed, but the fight for equitable treatment and representation for the disabled continues to this day. Making the movie inspired a fervent commitment on Taylor’s part to continue that dialogue and, in so doing, change the future narrative. Taylor sat down with us to discuss the film and its potential impact.READ MORE
Production Women: It’s time for more women behind the lens. From lighting to sound to stunts, costumes, sets, and beyond, learn about the many career...READ MORE