By Kathryn O’Kane
When it comes to financial planning, are you overwhelmed with all the information and advice out there? Not sure where to start? In November, Certified Financial Planners Gail Linn and William Fischer at Fortis Lux Financial (an office of MassMutual) presented a free seminar – available exclusively to NYWIFT members – covering the key concepts you need to consider to achieve your financial goals.
Here are Gail and William’s five introductory tips to secure your economic future.
- Prepare for the unexpected. Put 6 months of living expenses in a savings account.
- Be aware there are many ways to fund your retirement: 401K, 403b, traditional IRA, SEP IRA, and Roth IRA.
- Understand that no amount is too small. Contributing as little as $25 to your retirement fund from each pay check adds up over time.
- Diversify. From stocks and bonds to size and growth, each allocation is going to react differently to what is going on in the market, meaning you can better weather market fluctuations.
- Consider tax diversification of your retirement investments. Traditional retirement accounts, combined with Roth IRAs and cash value life insurance can add necessary flexibility to your portfolio.
A free financial planning consultation with Gail and William is offered as a member benefit to all NYWIFT members, whether you have just started out in your career or have been working for years and are approaching retirement.
Gail Linn, CFP® & William Fischer, CFP®
Fortis Lux Financial, an office of Mass Mutual
277 Park Avenue, 41st & 44th Floor
New York, NY 10172
Not a NYWIFT member yet? Join online.
Disclaimer: This information is provided for discussion purposes only, and should not be misconstrued as investment advice.
Kathryn O’Kane is a director and producer of television and commercials, as well as a NYWIFT board member. www.busyk.com
On November 12, 2018, just one week after a record 117 women won their races for seats in Congress, seven NYWIFT members came together with She Should Run, a non-partisan nonprofit with a mission to expand the talent pool of women running for office in the United States, hosted by HBO. NYWIFT member Kristina Teschner, who participated in the program, recently signed on as the Co-Director of Creative Strategy & New Media at the Cabán for Queens campaign, and shares more about the natural evolution between filmmaking and political campaigning.READ MORE
Black Agents: Of the hundreds of talent agents working at the major Hollywood agencies, only a few dozen are black. The New York Times ran...READ MORE
Thelma Schoonmaker: Congratulations to 1995 NYWIFT Muse honoree Thelma Schoonmaker, who was honored this weekend with a BAFTA fellowship for her incredible 50-year editing career....READ MORE
It may seem Black Girl Magic in film is everywhere these days. But NYWIFT Board Member Leslie Fields-Cruz will share a secret with you: That “magic” isn’t really magic at all. It’s the result of more than a century of hard work, perseverance, and phenomenal endurance by black women media makers who’ve paved the way for a future that demands inclusivity, parity, and equal representation.READ MORE