NYWIFT was founded in 1977 by a handful of women who saw a pressing need in New York for a networking and education forum for women in the entertainment industry. 41 years later, NYWIFT’s diverse membership is now nearly 2,500 strong, made up of women and men who work in all aspects of television, film and digital media, from behind-the-scenes to in front of the camera to the executive suite.
Become a Member
Because we’re a group of talented women nearly 2,500 strong. NYWIFT membership creates business and networking opportunities — where you can build your career, hone your skills, stay in the job market, preserve your cultural legacy, and make a difference. If you want to be part of a community that supports women in their careers, you should join.
How much does it cost?
Several membership levels provide an array of benefits and added value. Regular membership can be paid $15.41 per month or $185 annually, plus a one-time initiation fee of $135. Considering the free screenings and events, membership literally pays for itself. Scroll down to Membership Levels to see your options.
What are the benefits?
Discounted access to our programs, 50 FREE screenings of first-run feature films each year, access to supplemental health plans, complimentary career coaching, discounts on theater tickets and travel – and more! Scroll down to Member Benefits to see what we offer.
Individuals with at least four years of professional experience in film, TV or digital media can apply online.
Or you can apply offline: Download the application below and email it to email@example.com, or call 212-679-0870, ext. 23, to have one mailed to you. Applications may also be faxed to 212-679-0899 or mailed to 6 East 39th Street, 12th Floor, New York, NY 10016.
Members of sister WIFTI chapters can apply for Dual Membership using the application below.
Those with less than four years experience can still be a part of NYWIFT as a Next Wave member. Email firstname.lastname@example.org to apply.
NYWIFT membership is open to individuals with a minimum of 4 years of professional experience experience beyond entry level in film, television, or digital media.
Individuals with less than 4 years of experience beyond entry level may qualify for our Next Wave program. Scroll down to Membership Levels to read more about the Next Wave Group, or contact email@example.com for a Next Wave application.
If you are already a member a sister WIFTI chapter, please scroll down to Membership Levels to read about Dual Membership.
You must list 2 professional references with whom you have worked, and provide a check or credit card with your application (you will not be charged until you have been accepted). Membership applications are reviewed by the staff and submitted to the Board of Directors for approval on a monthly basis.
NYWIFT membership dues can be paid on an annual or monthly basis. Choose the NYWIFT membership category which is best for you. See below for a breakdown of member benefits and pricing for every level.
Membership Benefits for all levels include:
- reduced admission to all NYWIFT programs and gala special events
- admittance to special “members only” programs and screenings
- your listing in the NYWIFT online membership roster
- annual digital newsletter subscription
- access to website’s Member Center (job listings, bulletin boards, membership roster)
- member benefits and discounts, including group health plans
Regular Membership / $185 annually (or $15.41 monthly) + one-time $135 initiation fee
- full membership benefits as listed above
Gold Membership / $260 annually (or $21.66 monthly) + one-time $135 initiation fee
Includes all Regular Membership privileges plus:
- FREE admission to all basic NYWIFT programs (average $500 value)
- the ability to purchase a second Muse Awards ticket at the member’s price ($185 discount)
- a name listing in each monthly newsletter
- monthly debit or credit card payment: $21.66
Platinum Membership / $500 annually (or $41.66 monthly) + one-time $135 initiation fee
Includes all Gold Membership privileges plus:
- one FREE ticket (a $165 value) to the Muse Awards with special priority seating
- a listing in the Muse Awards journal ($500 value)
- a short business description or bio on the NYWIFT website, in the Resources Guide, hyperlinked to your website ($250 value)
Leadership Membership / $1,000 annually (or $83.33 monthly) + one-time $135 initiation fee
Includes all Platinum Membership privileges plus:
- two free tickets to the Muse Awards with priority seating ($515 value), plus invitation to the VIP Reception
- two free tickets to Designing Women with priority seating (a $225 value)
- a short business description or bio on the NYWIFT website, in the Resources section, hyperlinked to your website ($250 value)
- listing in the NYWIFT Resource Guide (distributed to over 70 Corporate Partners)
- monthly debit or credit card payment: $83.33
Next Wave Group
Next Wave is NYWIFT’s up-and-coming group of professionals who, while accomplished, are in the early stages of their careers. With the educational and professional guidance of NYWIFT, this group will be the next wave of industry leaders.
Professionals who are working in film, television or digital media and are interested in joining NYWIFT, but do not yet have four years of experience beyond entry level, are eligible to join the Next Wave Group. Please send your resume with relevant experience and dates to firstname.lastname@example.org and if you are eligible we will send you the application. For more information, contact Community Engagement Director Katie Chambers at 212-679-0870, ext. 23.
Support NYWIFT by becoming a member of the Corporate Partner Program. Corporate partnerships are available in at a variety of levels, to ensure maximum participation by interested firms and organizations.
Dual Membership with Sister WIFTI Chapters
Dual membership with New York Women in Film & Television is a special membership category open to current members of other Women In Film chapters. Dual members receive NYWIFT member discounts and benefits, including: reduced admission to all NYWIFT programs and gala special events, your listing in the NYWFT online membership roster, access to the members only job listings on the NYWIFT website.
Download the Dual Membership application from above, or contact email@example.com for more info.
Ten Reasons to Join NYWIFT
1. MAKE A DIFFERENCE
Membership makes you an advocate for equality for women in entertainment. NYWIFT is a community of members who support each other and all women in our business.
2. STAY IN THE JOB MARKET
Only members can access the Job Board, which includes postings from all sectors of the industry. NYWIFT’s Career Focus group helps members with career transitions.
3. HONE YOUR SKILLS
Free or reduced admission to over 50 industry events a year, including panels, seminars, workshops and screenings.
4. EXPAND YOUR SPHERE OF INFLUENCE
Your professional profile will appear in NYWIFT’s online membership directory, with the option of being included in the special Crew Up, Actors Gallery and Writers sections, which puts you in front of producers.
5. SAVE MONEY
Receive free movie tickets and discounts on products, services, theater tickets and trade publications. Get major discounts on tickets to NYWIFT’s celebrity events: the Muse Awards and Designing Women.
6. MENTOR THE NEXT GENERATION
Membership dues support NYWIFT’s Scholarship Fund, and the Intern/Mentor program gives you an opportunity to work with the next generation of women in the business.
7. FUND WOMEN FILMMAKERS
Membership dues also support the NYWIFT Fund for Women Filmmakers, which provides grants to help women bring their projects to the screen.
8. KEEP INFORMED
Receive the monthly electronic newsletter, weekly e-blasts of discounts and classes, and access to “Members Only” areas of the NYWIFT website.
9. PRESERVE YOUR CULTURAL LEGACY
The Women’s Film Preservation Fund is the only effort in the world focused on rescuing and restoring films by women.
10. IMPROVE YOUR CAREER
Become part of the supportive network of nearly 2,500 successful media professionals. NYWIFT activities provide you with lots of opportunities to meet them.
In addition to the standard membership benefits listed above (discounted/free NYWIFT program access, free screenings, membership directory and job board access) you can also take advantage of a wide range of benefits in the following categories. Current members can log into the Member Center to see details.
Health and Wellness:
- Discounted supplemental health plans include:
- AFLAC Cancer Care, Accident Indemnity and Dental
- Dental Insurance through American Dental Offices
- Discount with Nationwide Pet Insurance
- Discounted services with:
- Certified acupuncturist Christopher Dye
- Licensed psychologist Dr. Christine Fernadnez
- Extend Fertility
- Skin Spa New York
- RubyLightBright Hair Salon
Fitness: Discounted gym memberships with Crunch Gym and Silver Star Fitness
Financial Planning: Complimentary financial planning consultation with William Fischer of Fortis Lux Financial
- Discount tickets to Quad Cinemas
- 2-for-1 admission to the Paley Center for Media
- Discounted MoMA membership
- Complimentary Working Advantage Membership, with access to discounted movie tickets, Broadway tickets, theme park passes, shopping and more
- 20% off TheaterMania Gold Club Membership
Screening Room, Space and Location Rentals:
- Exclusive discounted rates to rent:
- Light Iron Screening Room
- NYWIFT Conference Room
- Women Make Movies Conference/Screening Room
- Working Lunch Internet Cafe Co-Working Space
- Blue Jean Studio
- The Artist Co-Op
- SoHoSoleil Locations
- Various discounted production services including:
- Hard Headed Media
- NEP Studios DVD Burning
- Daddy-O Productions Scene Shop
- Music Licensing with Epidemic Sound
- Discounted equipment rentals with:
- JMR Equipment Rentals
Discounted subscriptions to the following online and print publications:
- Corporate Subscrtipoin Management Services LLC (cSubs)
- The Hollywood Reporter
- Studiolot Publishing
Exclusive travel opportunities including:
- NYWIFT/American Airlines Travel Rewards Program
- Discount services with SuperShuttle, Zipcar, and Budget Car Rental
- Hotel discounts with Tablet Hotels, The James New York SoHo, Hotel Engine, and Motel 6
- International tour packages with Collete Travel
- Orlando vacation discounts
- Discounted ALIX Membership for female travelers
Work & Career:
Take advantage of:
- Complimentary career coaching sessions
- Access to the Actors Federal Credit Union, Actors Fund, and Actors Fund Work Program
- Discounted iCrewz membership
- Associate membership with the Women’s National Book Association – NYC Chapter