Official Deadline: June 1, 2015 @ 5 PM EST
Your script must be a full-length fictional narrative feature in English. It must be submitted electronically as a PDF.
Writers: You must be a woman who is at least 40 years old, born on or before June 1, 1975. You must be a US Citizen or Permanent Resident.
Scripts by more than one writer will be considered, but all writers must be female, and only one writer can attend the Lab.
You must submit a separate application for each script you submit.
1. Register your script with the Writers Guild, if it is not already registered. Registration is quick and easy and the Writers Guild East has generously offered the discounted price of $17 to Lab applicants who are not members of the Guild. Registration will protect you and The Lab staff and volunteers. Choose the Student and NYWIFT/The Writers Lab option. Register at the WGA East website.
2. Complete the electronic application, (link at the bottom of this page) filling in ALL fields.
You will be asked to complete questions in text boxes on the web application. We recommend that you draft your answers in a Word doc, then cut and paste the final text once it has been completed to your satisfaction. Text boxes include space for:
Short Synopsis (up to 500 words): Please describe your film in the synopsis.
Brief Personal Statement (up to 500 words): Tell us why you want to participate in The Lab. Here are some examples of the type of information we’re looking for: Who are you? How are you hoping to benefit from the Lab? What challenges are you hoping the Lab will help you overcome? Why are you passionate about this story?
3. Upload your screenplay as a pdf (required format) PDFs must be labeled with the project name and name of person submitting the project.
4. Agree to the terms and conditions.
5. Pay the non-refundable application fee of $25 for NYWIFT Members, Members of other Women in Film chapters and Writers Guild Members. $55 for Non-members paid by credit card. Members of other women in film chapters must provide proof of membership via a letter from the their chapter's staff or Board President.
**If you are submitting more than one script, you need to select the second option (additional scripts) for payment. Click the box on the left side of the page and enter the number of additional scripts you are paying for.
All notifications will be made by email no later than August 1, 2015.
Questions? See our FAQs, call 212-679-0870 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Join the conversation on Twitter: #nywift | @nywift
NYWIFT programs, screenings and events are supported, in part, by grants from New York City Department of Cultural Affairs in partnership with the City Council, and New York State Council on the Arts with the support of Governor Andrew Cuomo and the New York State Legislature.
Last updated: May. 4, 2015