NYWIFT's Archive Committee interviews top women filmmakers and film professionals
|Leslie Harris (©Lynda Kaplan)|
The committee helps to preserve women's contributions to film, television and digital media
On Sunday, April 15, 2012, NYWIFT’s Archive Committee interviewed an amazing group of women from various aspects of film, television and digital media. Three film crews—plus a host of other volunteers—taped the interviews at the Art Institute of New York City in Tribeca.
Those interviewed shared how they started in the entertainment industry, what obstacles they faced as women when they began their careers, how the working environment has changed, and what it has meant to be part of a community of women professionals that NYWIFT has supported and promoted.
|Maggie Renzi (©Lynda Kaplan)|
- Jane Altschuler, Producer/Director/Editor (Walk Thru Rock), Editor (Masterpiece Theatre)
- Nicole Betancourt, Documentary Producer (90 Miles, Before You Go)
- Barbara De Fina, Producer (GoodFellas), Executive Producer (Hugo)
- Ellen Geiger, Literary Agent, Former NYWIFT President
- Leslie Harris, Filmmaker (Just Another Girl on the I.R.T., Bessie Coleman's Dream to Fly)
- Barbara Kopple, Documentary Producer/Director (Wild Man Blues, Harlan County)
- Lisa Makowski, Makeup Artist
- Joy Pereths, Independent Film Marketer/Distributor, Former NYWIFT President
- Maggie Renzi, Producer (Matewan, Girlfight)
- Louise Tiranoff, Documentary Producer/Videographer (A Woman Is…, Opening His Eyes to the World)
- Susan Werbe, Executive Producer and VP, Programming, History
Cinematographers for the interviews were Jamila Allston, Jennifer Hahn and Roberta Pyzel. Interviewers for the day were Jamila Allston, Maxi Cohen, Norma Davidoff, Nicole Franklin, Carey Graeber, Lynda Kaplan, Joy Pereths, Elaine Norkus, Marcie Setlow and Kerrie Welsh.
Other volunteers included were Peggy Daniel, Agata Dragowswa, Tesia De Couto, Toya Dubarry, Melissa Fortunatti, Crystal Garland, Jessica Jade Jacob, Christine Knowlton, Jennifer Moon, Theresa Murino, Mariana Newhard, Stephanie Ogweh, Tameka Ojiore, Jennifer Pierce, Terrie Rouse, Susan Selig, Kristina Siska, Roz Sohnen and Sarah Williams.
Special thanks to Roz Sohnen, who teaches at the Art Institute of New York City, and who arranged and managed our day there. Co-chairs Marcie Setlow and Norma Davidoff were in charge of production and interviews, respectively.
About the Archive Committee
|Norma Davidoff (©Lynda Kaplan)|
The Archive Committee captures, on video, the professional lives of women from all areas of the entertainment industry. Ultimately, these interviews will be made available both online and as part of an extensive physical repository to students, scholars, and anyone else who is interested in the careers of women in film and television in New York. There are now over 85 interviews with women from a broad spectrum of careers in film, television and digital media. Learn more
, including how you can help preserve women's contributions to the industry.
Last updated: Feb. 28, 2013